John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [... Problem with Nimbus Condensed ...]

I've been informed that corrupt versions of the Nimbus fonts are
floating around on the internet. These fonts look normal, but seem to
have wrong metrics causing them to print condensed or expanded (note:
I don't know details, I've just been told so).

Having said that, OOo is unable to deal with font capabilities like
condensed and will happily ignore the condensed feature and treat it
--wrongly-- as a normal font. There are issues for that, but I cannot
look them up now since the OOo site is unresponsive.

> The same seems to happen in openOffce, theres probably a
> configuration file around for this but i was unable to find it so
> far.

If you can find the location where the font file resides, you'll
probably also see two files "fonts.dir" and "fonts.scale" there. In
these files, the connection is made between the fully qualified font
name (XLFD) and the font file. If there's a mixup of fonts, you should
be able to see (and fix) it here.

> I just removed the condensed file and linked the regular to it and
> viola, fonts look fine now.

A good work-around, for the time being...

If your system is package based, you might be lucky installing a new
package of Nimbus fonts.

-- Johan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to