On Sat, 2005-22-10 at 22:35 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

> >Apt-get calls on dpkg for installing and removing programs, so using
> >dpkg is the same as using apt-get.
> >

> Not quite.  dpkg allows me to install packages that weren't found
> through sources.list like the packages mentioned at the OpenOffice web
> site and earlier in this thread.  Maybe this can be done with apt-get
> but I don't know how.

You seem to misunderstand what I am saying. I'm saying that apt-get does
not install or remove packages by itself. When you install or remove
packages using apt-get, you are really using dpkg through apt-get at one
remove. That's why, for example, having installed something with dpkg,
you can use apt-get to remove it.

They are not  unconnected programs, as you seem to be saying. In other
words, it doesn't matter if you use dpkg or apt-get to install a
package. There's no difference
in the result.

If you really want to, you can create a sources.list entry to the
directory where the .deb packages are stored in the following format:

 deb file:/<directory>

Directory paths should be added without the usual forward slash. For
instance, if the directory is /root/debs, then you would add:

deb file:/root debs

However, there is no point in taking this extra step with dpkg around.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Some died in ecstasy,