Rich Shepard wrote:
Recently I downloaded the huge tarball for 2.0 and today I tried to install it. Unfortunately, the installation directory has nothing but
 RPMs, and that does no good on a Slackware system.

Up through 1.1.5, the linux/English download provided a distribution-agnostic installation directory. Why has this changed?

I guess we'll stick with 1.1.5 as that supports ODF as we use nothing
 but the word processor in OO.o in any case. But, I'll probably need
 to upgrade the application to 2.x at some time and it would be nice
 to have tarballs that work on non-rpm systems.

Anyone know if those will be available in the future?

Hello Rich

Eugenio posted to the webmistress today:

---///---
To let you know that a package for the Slackware Linux distribution exists
for OpenOffice 2.0 in English.
It is available on http://www.linuxpackeges.net
I have tested it and it works fine, you may want to update the section
"Packages for Linux distributions" on the page

http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0/instructions.html

to add the available package.

Thanks indeed
---///---

Also, those that are interested in OpenOffice.org 2.0 for Debian I would
like to encourage you to observe or assist the Debian OpenOffice.org
Project, see:

http://openoffice.debian.net/

This is the place to obtain news of official .debs.

Regards
Jacqueline McNally
Lead, OpenOffice.org Marketing Project