On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Christof Petig wrote:

I have only 512MB RAM in the interesting machine. Luckily opening office
documents is the only task the machine has to do.

With hot caches, isn't it. I'm also interested in startup time on a newly
rebooted/suspended computer. OOo/Linux really made a bad _initial_
impression because of this.

The point is: If people are used to MS Office opening documents within
instants, you cannot tell them that 4 seconds is really fast. And 1.1
opened within under a second if the quickstarter was active. All I want is
that 2.0 can do this, too.

  I've not before timed OO.o startup on my main workstation/server, so I just
did this. The CPU is an Athlon XP+/2200, there's 1G RAM (PC 2700/333MHz), and
it's running the 2.4.31 kernel (stock Slackware-10.2).

  OO.o-1.1.5 loaded in 7.7 seconds; OO.o-2.0 loaded in 5.8 seconds. Both seem
sufficiently quick to me.

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"