Thanks for the input Dan, and for your encouragement for me to broaden and develop my intelligence. The point you are missing here is that I and many others prefer to work in inches - not that we are incapable of thinking outside some prescribed boundary. In every other area of my life I use inch measurements. OpenOffice developers have seen fit to include inches as an option, it seems reasonable therefore that potential users of inches should have minor irritations addressed. If other wordprocessors permit extended decimal point use, then why shouldn't the world's greatest?
Dan Lewis wrote:

I am from the USA and use "cm" all the time with OOo. If you stop and think abouit it, all you see on the screen is a bunch of numbers in the ruler. OOo creates the proper dimensions for the page and margin that you have set. (I use letter size and portrait.) So all you are doing is making changes according to the rulers at the top and perhaps the left of your page. It is not as difficult as you might think to adjust using a different system of measure. You learn "metric" measuring the same way you learned the measuring system you are use to: you use it. Measuring is just a matter of comparing a length against some numbers on a ruler. If you want a more accurate reading, you use a smaller scale. That is all. That is not all that hard to do regardless of what system you are using. Try it, you might even like it.

Dan

--
OOo 2.0 - Mozilla Suite 1.7.12 - Win XP sp2