shri krish wrote:
Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

On Monday 31 October 2005 06:00 am, Krish wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting a strange error when I open an .odt file:

"Read-Error. This is not a WinWord97 File"

This document was created using openoffice 2.0 beta.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,
Krish

Have you downloaded and installed the non-Beta?
If so, when you try to open a file are you double clicking on the file, or are you going to OOo and using file -> open? There could be something fouled up with the association settings, or that the file -> open is set to "Word 97".
---->
Ive tried opening it externally and opening it through openoffice(non beta release). Unfortunately both have come up with the same error. Ive also tried importing it, changing the extension to .doc, opening it in Microsoft Word Viewer.

Regards,
Krish.

Changing the file extension does not alter the file contents. If it still has the (renamed) .doc extension, the filters are trying to open it as a Word97 file and not finding correctly formatted data for a W97 document. Renaming it to <filename>.odt should get you back on track.

Doug