Finally, someone to answer his question! I've been
following this thread with interest, primarily to
prove a point.  The ones screaming at others to be
tollerant are usually the least tollerant themselves.
Craig primarily asked the question of how to delete
words he deemed objectionable from the dictionary and
thesaurus.  It seems near everyone has been riding him
about objecting to certain words AND NOT HIS ORIGINAL
QUESTION! I didn't read all the thread, but from what
I read, Mr. Singleton was the only responsible and
intelligent person to answer his question, and not
ride him of why he wants to do what he's looking to
do.

I read Craig's original question. He wasn't at all
objectionable, or intollerant in the question he
asked. However, it seems a vast majority of "people"
want to criticize Craig for his reason, rather than
his question.

--- "G. Roderick Singleton"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Craig,
>
> For an interim solution, I suggest that you
> remove/dusable the thesaurus
> at least until you can edit the file and get a
> working one.  You can do
> this by removing the line
> THES en US th_en_US_v2
> from

<wherever>/openoffice.org2.0/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst

> On my system, simply commenting out the line and
> restarting OOo is
> sufficient.
>
> Good luck on Bowlderizing.
>
> Do try this by editing both th_en_US_v2.dat   and
> th_en_US_v2.idx for
> your list of banned words.
>
> If you are successful, perhaps you could donate
> these to the project so
> others may avoid the problem you are having. If you
> like I will create
> an issue to which you can attach the files.
>

> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 11:17 -0600, Craig Herman
> wrote:
> > Type "mishandle" and look at the fourth term from
> the bottom.  It gives
> > "f**k up" as a synonym.  That was the real problem
> that I had.  On the other
> > hand, if you type "f**k up" and look up a synonym
> in the thesaurus, it gives
> > good suggestions as alternates.  I guess that
> makes it sort of even. I
> > checked MS Word.  If you misspell "f**k", it marks
> it as incorrect.  If you
> > look up "f**k" or "f**k up", it gives no
> suggestions. What would be better
> > is to not give "f**k up" as a synonym, but to give
> synonyms for "f**k up" if
> > asked. After checking further, look up
> "motherf**ker" and see what you get.
> >
> > Craig

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity,
religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim
the tribute of patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of
human happiness - these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The
mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish
them." * * * *
George Washington – Farewell Address – Philadelphia, September 7, 1796

*********