CPHennessy wrote:

On Fri November 18 2005 03:08, Craig Herman wrote:
The word f**k and the expression "f**k up" are in the dictionary and
thesaurus.  Is it possible to remove these?  I have tried, but I have
been unsuccessful.  I would like to use these at my school, but with
these words in the dictionary, I don't think that will be possible.

Look for a file like :
<openoffice.org 2.0 directory>/share/dict/ooo/en_US.dic

Maybe it would be a selling point for OOo in schools to censor words from it's dictionary :)

Dic? DIC?!? Do you know what the spell checker suggests I replace this with?

Oddly enough when I checked the thesaurus I did not get any hits on the expected genitive organ, nor did a thesaurus search on said genitive organ come up with "dick". If f**k (which I cannot bring myself to spell out in a public newsgroup, even though I may say it from time to time) is in there, whyinhell isn't "dick"?

Craig, I'm with you in as much as you feel such words need to be deleted. I would mention that if the children in question are high school age (US, 14 and up) or higher they already are at least as familiar with them as you are. At that age they should be learning how to refrain from using them rather than be protected from ever hearing them. If it's a grade school (US, 11 and down) delete it. I teeter on the edge for middle schoolers; either decision contains right and wrong in equal measure for kids that age.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services