On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 06:04, Beth Panitz wrote:
> Help! I am a special education teacher, and I wrote a report about
> one of my students on my laptop at home, where I have the openoffice]
> suite.  Now I am at school, where I have Microsoft Word. I brought
> the file here on a disk, but I can't open it.

Of course not - MicroSoft is incapable of reading it.

All you had to do was, on your laptop at home, ask Open Office
to save the file as an MS Word doc. That file would easily be read by
your Word at work. >FILE>SAVE AS>[pick your Word flavor]

Open Office easily reads almost all MS Word and MS Excel files.
MicroSoft Office cannot read any version of Open Office files.
But the ability of Open Office to *write* MS files is what
saves your bacon in this situation.

Brewster Gillett