Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay <at> internode.on.net> writes:

> I have recently installed OO2.0 on FreeBSD5.4.  It seems that the display size
is rather restricted. ... But altering this Scaling seems to also affect the
sizes in the work spaces so that a centimetre in a drawing displays as around
one and a half centimetres.  Is there some way to control these independently?
> But a much worse problem is the ghastly hard-to-read non-serif
> fonts popularised by Microsoft and used in menus, help, etc.
>
> In the same set of options I can mark "Use system font for user
> interface", but this seems to do nothing and in any case I don't
> know to what "system font" refers.
>
> I had expected that replacing the "interface User" font in
> Tools->Options->OpenOffice.org->Fonts would deal with this
> problem but it has no effect on menus, help etc. Was this the
> intent? Does it work on other platforms? What is the intended
> purpose of the pseudo font?
>
> Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> Malcolm Kay

I understand that altering the scaling is supposed to affect only the UI.  On
the replacement issue, the README file in the openoffice.org2.0 directory (the
directory in which the programme is installed) states "To change the font of the
OpenOffice.org user interface, you have to replace the default font "Andale Sans
UI" with another font and mark the "always" setting for this replacement."  The
default font is not actually listed, you have to type it in.

I've got a related problem in that, for ease of visibility, I have increased
font sizes using the KDE tool and the increased fonts show up in the OpenOffice
UI generally but not in the dialogs so that, if I use scaling to increase the
dialog fonts, I get too much size in the UI generally.  It may be that your OS
enables you to alter font settings system-wide, in which case those settings
will be mirrored in OpenOffice, except in the dialogs.  Hope this helps.