Interesting.  Thanks.
I input into a cell "  =pi()  "
and formatted as #???/???
and it fed out 355/113.  This
is accurate to about 1 part in
3.75 million.

Joe

Chris BONDE wrote:
Am Samstag, 17. Dezember 2005 18:26 schrieb Joe Conner:

It is unreliable.  :-(
For example, put in a cell "=5/17"
then format the cell as a fraction.
It will give you 2/7.  This is
close, but no cigar!

It's all a matter of formatting, i.e. display. Put more "?" in >
Format > Cell > Format-Code to add more digits.

E.g. "# ?/??" will give you "5/17".

Guido

This is something that I am curious about.
I think that what you are implying is not only does it round (up?) in decimals to fit
the sig figs but also in the fractions  or is it a quotient function.

How does it distinguish between what I know as decimal fractions and common
fractions?  Both in documentation and in calculating.

Chris