On Friday 13 January 2006 07:37 pm, Cary Howe wrote:
>  One massive problem with every spreedsheet software I've ever seen
> including the one in Open Office is they assume you already know how to use
> them. Even the help assumes you already know their naming conventions and
> how their command structure works. Well guess what if I knew how to use it
> why would I be digging in help? Unfortunately I'm guessing there isn't even
>  a Dummies book on Open Office. May be there is? I've been using
> Spreadsheets for ten years and to this day all I can do is total a single
> column of numbers. Now Open Office is wonderful if I want to add colors or
> do many fancy formating commands but it still assumes you know the basics.
> All I want to do is link two cells so when one totals the amount updates at
> another location so it passively updates the second column. About as basic
> as you can get yet I don't even know what linking two cells is called let
> alone have a clue how to do it. I'm not kidding ten years and I have yet to
> be able to figure it out. I don't have time for a bloody accounting class
> so I can do a few basic things with a spreed sheet. I'm shocked the help
> isn't better since the word processor is amazing and extremely easy to use.
> I literally don't need to do anything fancier than linking a cell total
> with an entry in a new column. Do I need to get a degree to be able to do
> that? Just frustriating that every software out there for doing
> spreedsheets assumes prior knowledge. I've used other sheets that other
> people have set up but I haven't a clue how to do it myself. In graphics
> I'm a high end user but mostly use spreedsheets for basic budgeting. They'd
> be 1000X more useful if I could do slightly more with them. I don't even
> need formulas just basic linking. Help!!!!!!
>
> Open Office is amazing but the Calc is incomprehensible to the novice. If
> it was a graphics software I could probably select Cell A then holding down
> the shift key drag it to Cell B and they'd be linked. Office software could
> learn a lot from how graphics software works. In some fundimental ways
> office software hasn't changed much in ten years or more. Graphics software
> has made quantum leaps in the last ten years when it comes to user
> interfaces. Office software may have increased functions but they still
> aren't in anyway intuitive so there's a huge potential for improvement. You
> want to blow away Microsoft Office instead of following it? Make the
> interface intuitive then they'll be scrambling to keep up. I should be able
> to right click on a cell and define it as a parent then click on a second
> cell and define it as a child. I could then while that's buffered click on
> several locations and create multiple children to the parent cell. It's how
> animators tree functions and blows away the best accounting software on the
> planet for ease of use and power. In Maya I can open up the parent tree and
> manually drag the links around. I should be able to do the same in a
> [...]

From another member of this mailing list: (These are links to documentation.)
http://documentation.openoffice.org./manuals/index.html
Individual chapters:
http://documentation.openoffice.org./manuals/oooauthors2/index.html
The calc guide (I've broken the link in two to fit Gmane's posting page)
http://documentation.openoffice.org./manuals/oooauthors2/0107GS-[break]
GettingStartedWithCalc.pdf