Actually they were an unholy mess of both
Max.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathon Coombes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [users] 2 hours to set tabs :-((

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 13:32 +1100, Max Haltermann wrote:
Hi Jonathon again,
The document is a long list of ancestors. There
is a family name, then one or more given names
with a page number associated with each given name
or names on the extreme right. The chap worked
at it for some 15 years and wants to get it cleaned
up ready for printing and binding. Yes, I have tried to set tabs in paragraph style, but
I'm not sure if I did it right, but whatever I did, the
moment I highlighted the raw text all tabs would
disappear from the ruler. And yes, I also turned
on non-printing characters.
I found, if I removed all tabs manually from a
paragraph, THEN I could highlight that paragraph
without tab markers on the ruler disappearing.
The job then is: how to remove all embedded
tab markers without removing them one by one.
The Find/Replace help file says \t is the code to
enter for search and replace. I tried this on a
section of this file, where I had placed some
tabs manually. Guess it didn't like my tabs as
the message was 'Search object not found'

Are you sure they were tabs and not spaces?

Regards
Jonathon
--
OOo Tips:               http://mindmeld.cybersite.com.au/tips.rss