I'm able to make F7 work with these instructions, but when i rightclick
a US spelling, it still says "Word is English (USA)" (which could be a
feature instead of a bug if "is" means "is" and not "its language
setting is") and even "Paragraph is English (USA)".

I learn something every day. I didn't know about this feature, but my interpretation is

It would be nice to get the official interpretation of this ambivalent UI expression.

that the phrase "Word is English (USA)" means that it has found the word in the English (USA) dictionary and is offering the option to remember this fact for spell check purposes, so that you aren't asked to re-spell it in future. The same with "Paragraph is ...".

Except that at least this one is blatantly incorrect when the entire rest of the paragraph is obviously UK English both in terms of several spelling examples and in terms of defined language setting.

However, it seems to be inconsistent in my installation as it only gives this option for types of English, and not for all other installed languages. I must investigate.

Thanks