Hello!

On 1/24/06, Sigrid Kronenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Ross,
>
> "Ross & Connie Dawson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>
> > Sir,I sent a completed excel spreadsheet & they can't open it.It is in
> > .ods format.Do I need to convert it to .xls? If so then how?
> > Similarly,I sent a word document (in  .odt format) & the recipient
> > can't open it.How do I get around this problem? Regards,Ross Dawson.
>
> The short answer to both questions: Yes.
>
> For converting the ods-file to .xls-format, just open your existing
> file, choose "Save as..." and save it again. Take care, that you select
> the appropriate file format. (There is a drop-down-field under the line,
> where you enter the name.) When you've chosen .xls for Microsoft Office
> (2003, XP or which version you need), then send it again to your
> colleagues.
>
> You have the same to do for the Writer file. You have to choose .doc in
> the same place.
>
> You can change the default-format (e. g. when you need often to send
> files as attachments to other Microsoft users) by changing the entry in
> Tools > Options > and then "Load/Save".

You can also hit the PDF button or go to File>Export as PDF and turn any OOo
document (Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, etc.) into a PDF which anyone can
open.  This is only good for things that are to be read, not editted (as
PDFs can't be editted without Adobe Acrobat, and I don't even know if that
can edit a PDF made by OOo).  So if you are collaborating with someone who
is editting the files you send, then you need to use a format you both can
edit, like .doc or .xls or .rtf or something, as described above.

Hope That Helps!

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/