Thanks for your help.  I think I've got it figured out.

Anne
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: [users] Labels

Anne:

Did you use the path File > New > Labels? That should have pre-set formats for nearly any common type of label, with the correct width and height.

Getting OOo to make labels from a database isn't totally intuitive, so it would be helpful to read documentation about how to do it. A recently revised document that you can refer to is at:
http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/userguide2/writer/published_final/0211WG
-UsingMailMerge.pdf/view

Dick Detwiler