Paul Berkowitz wrote:
Hello-
I inquired with you about possibly using Dragon Naturally Speaking word-recognition software with OpenOffice - you weren't aware if it would work or not. I did give it a try and it works just fine! The Naturally Speaking software (I'm using the most basic version they sell) requires some getting used to and you have to "train" it to learn the nuances of your spoken voice - although it does seem to catch on pretty quickly. I've had no problems with the interface of the two programs.
Thought you'd like to hear ...

-Paul Berkowitz, M.D.
Dragon will dictate into any unsupported program by emulating a keyboard, but the features will be limited. Any movement in the document by mouse or keyboard will confuse it, because it can't get the position of the cursor from the program itself. Also, saying commands like "Save Document" that work it Word won't work unless you own the Professional version which lets you make your own commands. It is, unfortunately, about 500 USD, on the steep side for many people.