Hi Linda:
I'll follow your format in expressing my opinion:

1.  Remember to set the options available within Open Office so that
Open Office is not your default application.  Remember also to install
Open Office in it's own directory separate from others.  This is
obvious, but also overlooked by many.

2.  The program itself attaches nothing however you are aware that
nearly every website attaches cookies into the browser you use.  The
cookies do contain information what you did choose at a particular site.
You could download a browser known as Firefox and not only control
pop-ups of commercials but, all cookies and with some Firefox extensions
also control annoying ads appearing along the side columns of many
websites.  The extensions called Adblock and NoScript are very useful.
Some viruses hide as browser scripts for instance.

3.  Open Office is open source which is free.  StarOffice a more
expanded and extensive product from Sun, is not.  StarOffice sells for
about $60 and is quite preferable to MS Office.  Obviously, you feel
comfortable having multiple apps available for your needs.  Open Office
won't get in the way; some of the things it does are better than Word as
they are more sensibly executed.  Work with Open Office a bit and you'll
see for yourself what you may find preferable.

Best of Luck...