The simple answer is yes. OOo can save files in MS format. OOo can
open files in MS format. You can also edit MS files and resave as MS
files using OOo.

There will be, sometimes, minor formatting differences between MS
products and OOo but they are diminishing as time goes on.

Since the default for OOo is not the MS format, you do have to take
care when saving files that you use the correct format for your
audience.

/paul