On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 17:57 -0500, Sheryl & Andrew Wales wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about OpenOffice.  I understand that it is compatible with
> Microsoft Office. I presently do not have MS Office, and require an office
> system for my home based business.  Friends and collegues have sent me files
> that they have created in MS Office that I can open and read but not actually
> correct/change.  Likewise, they are not able to open any of my files since it
> is not MS Office.  If I install this OpenOffice program, will I be able to
> create/open/change any files that they have sent me and likewise will they be
> able with their MS Office installed on their computers be able to
> open/correct/change any documents that I have sent to them created with
> OpenOffice?  Sorry to bother you with these questions, but it has been a real
> hassle not being able to always communicate with others without MS Office.
> The price of MS Office is also a bit of a hinder to it's purchase, $299.00.
> Thank you in advance for your time.  If you could also cc this message to my
> other email address at [EMAIL PROTECTED] com I would really appreciate it,
> since this email address does not always seem to work.
>
> Sincerely,
> Sheryl Wales

Sheryl,

OOo is quite compatible. Not 100% but very close. Thus, for the most
part, you will be able to edit and save the files that are sent to you.

At $299, MSO is pricey but OOo is $0. This is free and open source to
boot. I would recommend you give it a try just for that reason alone.
To get it simply click on the Download section on
http://www.openoffice.org/ and answer three questions and you will get
an archive from which you may install. If you use windows, the download
image is self extracting and start the install procedure automatically.
Can't get much easier.

--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead