John Jordan wrote:
OO.o 1.9-something, Ubuntu-64 Breezy.

K, I screwed up just now. I opened a homework file for Chapter 12 of the textbook we are using in one of my classes (Ex_Chapt_12.odt), intending to use it as a template to start doing the homework for Chapter 13. I deleted all but the first page information, intending to do a Save As under the name Ex_Chapt_13. But without thinking I hit Ctrl-s. Oops!

"No problem," I thought. "I know this thing is making automatic backups all the time, because sometimes it interrupts me while I am typing. I'll just go get the backup file." I assumed that every time I did a Save it deleted the old backup file, then renamed the previously saved copy as the new backup. So I carefully did a Save As of the open document to Ex_Chapt_13.odt, then opened the file manager to look for the backup file. Nothing. Nada. Not there. According to Options the backup files are supposed to be in /home/jjj/.openoffice.org2/backups. The folder is there, but it is empty.

I searched the entire disk from the root forward for Ex_Chapt_12*.*. No backup files. All I found was the newly saved version.

Evidently automatic backup doesn't automatically make backups. What does it actually do? As far as I can tell it does nothing at all. And can someone tell me if there is any way to retrieve the old version of this file? And what can I do to prevent this sort of thing from happening again? This setup is very dangerous.

There is no production OOo 1.9. The last official production release of version 1 is 1.1.5. The 1.9 series were beta releases for version 2, often with known bugs, supplied for testing only, with a warning about this on the OpenOffice.org site download page where they were available.

Automatic backup does work with OpenOffice.org 2.0.1 (and I believe worked in earlier production releases, but I recently purposely blew away all old OOo directories and so can't confirm this, other than noticing a large number of .BAK files existed where they were supposed to exist.)

Probably the only way you might recover your earlier version of the file is through dedicated disk recovery software. If you have not done much writing to disk following your mishap, your file *may* still be there. (But if you have no deleted file recovery software on your system, simply downloading it may wipe out your file.)

Jallan