If it's not a stupid question, can anyone say what is the intended purpose of language packs?

I thought that they were intended to "customise" the OOo user interface to the desired locale, but this is clearly not the case with the English - as opposed to the American - version, and so I assume some other purpose, perhaps not related to the user interface. I don't want to start firing issues about this until I'm clear as to their purpose.

Peter HB