On Sat March 18 2006 04:13, + Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> Downloaded and installed 2.0.2 without trouble on an Athlon 64x2
> (dual-core) XP box (Media Center Edition, SP2, patches up to date).
> Applications appear in Start menu after installation, but won't actually
> start.
>
> Mouse pointer becomes arrow+hourglass briefly, then reverts to normal;
> this is the only visible indication of anything happening. No windows
> appear, or Tray icons, or any other UI. No error message dialogs appear
> either. Eventvwr.msc shows nothing untoward afterward. After waiting
> upwards of 1 hour there is still no user-visible UI. (Openoffice Base
> and Openoffice Writer were attempted with identical (lack of) results.)
>
> System specs: Athlon 64x2 3800+, 1GB RAM (task manager shows a commit
> charge of 800M; yeah I have a bunch of other stuff running and
> explorer's been hemmorhaging memory again) and 2.5G swap (3/4 free);
> dx9c compat 3d card w/64MB RAM (won't run Q4 decently, but it's more
> than any office app should require); gobs of free HD space (>> 100GB);
> system clean of spyware and viruses as of midday yesterday; broadband
> net connection functioning normally.
>
> Installer presented no error messages or other abnormal behaviors.
> Installer was clean when virus-scanned prior to launch, and came from
> the official .torrent. Java version, if relevant, 1.5.0_06 and
> functioning normally (have an instance of the Eclipse IDE open right now
> as a matter of fact).
>
> Also, it did not associate .rtf files with Writer, as one might expect,
> though I checked all three file reassociation options in the installer.
>
> Any clues? Known XP or Athlon64 incompatibility? Some obscure regsrv32's
> that need doing in lieu of a reboot? (though usually error messages
> naming specific OCXs appear in that case, obviating the need to email
> support)
>
> (I don't want to hear "it won't work on your computer, period"; I'd
> rather not hear "you have to reboot first" since it's such a PITA to do,
> losing your place in all open web sites, documents, file browsers, etc.)

Hi Paul,
 I think that it should work (in 32bit compatability mode). However I really
known nothing of 64 bit systems and even less about Windows Media Centre.
Maybe try installing an older version of the software to verify that it works
and then report a bug. Also http://porting.openoffice.org may be able to
help.

Please reply to users@openoffice.org only

--