No, Andy, he´s not talking about a Math formula, but a formula in a
table, like =sum<a1:a5>. One solution is to have Help Tips turned on
(the default) so you see ToolTips, and hover your mouse over the desired
cell, which will popup a tooltip with the formula contained in that
cell.  This option is in Tools->Options->OpenOffice.org->General.

Matt