Are you working on slides.ppt? If so, construct a text box horizontally, then select it, and rotate it. Haven't tried vertical text in word processing, but I expect you could import from a slide.
Bill

Alicia Araya wrote:

I am getting very frustrated with this program. THe simple ability to
construct vertical text boxes eludes me/ Something so simple in Windows is
impossible here. I click on all the appropriate buttons, consult the
impossible-to-understand help document, all to no avail.

is this something o.o simply is not capable of doing?

William Flanagan        Ph:  +1.703.242.8381
Flanagan Consulting     Fx:  +1.703.242.8391
45472 Holiday Dr. #3, Sterling, VA 20166 USA
www.flanagan-consulting.com

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
                                       --George Bernard Shaw