On Tue, 02 May 2006 10:20:57 -0600
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 May 2006 10:02, Lobo wrote:
> > On 4/29/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > OpenOffice is an office suite similar to Microsoft Office.
> > >
> > > If you wish to replace your OS, check out Linux

> > Linux is really only feasible for technically sophisticated people
> > at this point in time. It is definitely not yet ready for the
> > average PC user. There are far too many issues with finding drivers
> > for hardware, incompatible versions (software that works on one
> > flavor of Linux often will not work with another flavor), and the
> > list goes on and on. If the developers of Linus would start working
> > together instead of against each other they would have a far better
> > product in a far shorter time.
> >
> > The unfortunate reality is that there is no realistic substitute for
> > Windows at this time. Contrary to irrational opinion, MacOS is even
> > worse than Windows for bugs and proprietary components, and
> > everybody knows that there isn't the fraction of software options
> > available.
> My apologies if by jumping in the middle of a thread which I did not
> see the initial posts for has caused me to miss the point. However:
>
> The above message about Linux being only feasable for technically
> sophisticated people is horse [EMAIL PROTECTED]@ !
>
> I've been using Linux for years and I have zero needs for Windows. I
> can interact with the windows business world just fine with samba,
> openoffice and Kontact (my mail manager/todo list/address book/etc
> tool of choice).
>
> I find Linux very easy to install and maintain - in fact the last time
> I watched / helped with a Windows install I found it un-intuitive,
> brain-dead and just plain stupid which led to much frustration...
>
> My wife uses and administers Linux on her desktop and she is not even
> close to a technical expert. My boys (ages 19 and 14) both have
> installed/configured Linux and use it on a daily basis - even my
> parents who can barely turn a computer on use Linux with little
> difficulty (much less difficulty than if they ran windows - my
> personal "support" calls from them have dropped from 20-30 calls/month
> with windows to 1-2 calls a quarter with Linux)
>
> I would suggest checking out SuSE as a good non-technical user distro.

And at the risk of upsetting people with this OT thread, I would add try
Knoppix before you go any further. Knoppix is a sort of try before you
buy Linux system which doesn't even need installing on your computer. It
loads completely from CD/DVD. This will let you try configuring your
hardware and see what works and what doesn't. It does run slower because
of the CD environment but it will give you a taste of Linux. Also google
for your local LUG.

HTH

--
Michael
 Those that can, do; those that can't, teach.