Guy Johnston wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thank you. I will pass on your email to them and as you suggested ask for
my money back.

I am suprised that your organization isn't as concerned as I was about
them using your programs in this way.

If you are or your legal people are, I'll be happy to provide the
information I have.

I have filed complaints with ebay and paypal as well with them.

Happy to help you if you want to have them cease and desist selling your
programs too..if you like.

Don Azars
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yeah, I've seen they're selling the whole package under another name at http://www.cosmi.com/OnlineStore/ProductCatalog/Business/perfect_pro_office.aspx. I'm not sure but it might be legal under the terms of the LGPL as long as they don't change any of the names or anything in the source code, and if they give you the source code on request. It's still a dishonest thing to do, they're trying to get a free ride from the open source community, and to dupe uninformed people into paying them for nothing, which won't be invested in developing the project.
They ask $19.99 for the package! If they would have charged $199.99 or $499.99 then people would have a reason to feel duped. It's perfectly legal to distribute OOo and ask something in return for it. In fact it's perfectly legal to charge $1000 for it as long as you don't limit your customer to either do the same or to help his neighbour and give it away for free again. It's legal to modify the code as long as you provide the source code for the changes.

Of course it would have been nice of Cosmi to indicate where they got their mustard, but I don't know if they have to. I think they are allowed to change the name. What's in a name? It's mostly marketing.

Oh and I just saw that they include two bonus programs :-) and they shrinkwrapped it all. $19.99 is a bargain...

Jo