[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Why not just use English grammar as it should be & say the program is "free" rather than "for free"?
Royce G.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ross Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: [users] Re: your ad doesn't deliever take this one instead

Pete Holsberg wrote:

mike scott typed the following on 6/27/2006 4:47 AM:

On 27 Jun 2006 at 7:27, Mr. Vega wrote:

hi, i've designed an ad for you, because i like
openoffice.org and i want others to try it :) take a look http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/17/testgif.gif and i'll attach
the other JPEG picture in my msg

If there's to be /anything/ at all, please let it be in
correct English. "for free" may be alluringly alliterative,
but it is not idiomatic English.

You may find <http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990108> informative! :-P

That explains why "for free" always sounds uncomfortably uneducated. But, at the same time, the correct alternatives "free of charge" or "free of cost" sound more than a little old fashioned these days.

I suspect that avoiding the word "free" altogether would be a good thing.

Ross

I agree with Chad -- let's lighten up a bit. There's nothing gratingly wrong about "for free". I checked the link provided above, and in part, here is what this grammatician (sp?) had to say about it:

" In defense of *for free*, we can make several points. First, it is a very common phrase. Second, it is an established idiom; it doesn't give anyone difficulty, and the meaning can't be confused for anything else. Third, whatever redundancy it may have is purely syntactical, and is less "threatening" than a redundancy that is based on the meanings (for example, the oft-attacked *free gift*). Finally, there are various constructions in which *for free* avoids ambiguity. Take the sentence: "By working on the commune, he was able to live for free." This makes it clear that the subject didn't have to pay for his life expenses; if it had been "...live free," an entirely different interpretation would be possible. (One can always rewrite the sentence, but that's not the point here.)"