Forgive me for jumping in here. I think he means that, but not with a copy but a cut & paste, which would change B1. Sounds like he needs to pin his formulas with absolute references. So, Shane, if that is the case then you need to change the formula in B1 (for instance) to =$A$1. Go to help and check out "absolute references in spreadsheets"

HTH

Mike

kevin johnston wrote:
So let's say, just for example, cell A1 contains numeric 123, and cell B1 contains formula =A1.

Are you saying that you can select cell A1, Copy, select cell A2, Paste, and now cell B1 contains formula =A2?

This does not happen for me. (Windows XP, OOo2.0.2) Or have I misunderstood?

Shane Johnson wrote:
I am running into a problem when I copy the data from the referenced cells in a formula to a new location and the formula reference follows the data instead of staying on the original cells where I want it. Is there any way to turn this off. I have looked through the options and couldn't see anything.

Thank you
Shane

OOo 2.0.2 running on Windows 2000