John Jason Jordan wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:09:59 -0500
Dan Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

Opening Synaptic and doing a search on "Java" I find that I have
installed:

j2re1.4
           Blackdown Java Runtime Environment
j2re1.4-mozilla-plugin
           Java plugin for Firefox
           (about:plugins says it is installed)
openoffice.org-java-common
           OpenOffice.org common files

There are several other java-related things installed, but none of them
appear to have anything to do with the problem.

What is wrong? What else do I need to install?

I note in Synaptic that I have the option to install sun-java5-bin and
sun-java-jre. They are currrently not installed. Would that solve the
problem? Which JRE does OO.o require?
The version of JRE that you have installed does not work well with OOo as you have discovered. You need to install the sun-java5-bin before you can use Base properly.

Before I received your reply I already tried installing the Sun JRE.
Synaptic now lists sun-java5-bin and sun-java5-jre as installed.
However, when I go into Tools > Options > Java it sees only Free
Software Foundation, 1.4.2, which I think is the Blackdown Java. There
is an Add button, but when I click on it it asks for the path. I have
no idea where the Sun JRE is installed, or what it is called to search
for it. Also curious why it did not detect it.

I have a suspicion that the problem is not the Blackdown Java. I say
that because that is what has always been installed, and Base is able
to see Microsoft Access mdb files without a problem (although read
only). I suspect, instead, that I am getting the "defective java" error
message because Base can't figure out the DBase5 file. I exported the
table as DBase5 from Access. I chose DBase5 because that was the lowest
version number listed. Maybe Base is not able to read that format and
throws up the "defective java" error message as a default.
If that is the case, there are some other options in the MS Access
export window. What file formats can Base read and also write to?

John:

You can find your path to java in a couple of ways:

1. Go into Synaptic, search for Java, see the sun-java5-bin and the right click on it and select properties. One of the tabs is installed files. You are looking for something in a bin directory.

2. In a console, type: which java
This should give you one line for the default java on your system.

3. In a console, type: locate java
This should give you a complete list of every file that has 'java' in it.

Once you have the path, you can browse to it within OOo to set the path to Java.

Hope this helps,
Crystle

Crystle Numan
Administrative Secretary, Immanuel CRC