Anything regarding a document has to be loaded into the memory of your
computer. Not just the items you see on your screen, but also a lot of other
stuff that you just take for granted to be there at your need. The more memory
your computer has the less likely you are to experience any slow down in
performance, but it's there. So if you keep al lot of actions in your
'undo-steps' or 'recorded changes' you will at some point experience a dropdown
in the performance of your computer.

Arnold Huzen