Dave Barton wrote at 22:46 on 21 Jul 2006:

> ... Victor's issue was related to the Linux installation of OOo. Since the
> introduction of OOo version 2.0 the installation procedure for Linux is very
> different to that for Windows. The situation for Linux users is further
> complicated by the different Linux distributors (eg.SuSE, Ubuntu, etc.)
> including modified versions of OOo in their distributions, which in some
> cases do not (by default) install to the same file system locations as the
> "official" version.

I, too, am a SuSE user. Do you have an answer for Victor's question? I want to
upgrade from OOo 2.0 Novell Edition build 2.0.0.1 as released as a part of SuSE
9.3 to the standard OOo version 2.0.3. What do I do in order to avoid the
mishmash that Victor reports?

Should I completely uninstall the "Novell Edition" and then install version
2.0.3? If so, what problems will that likely create for me when I later replace
SuSE 9.3 with SuSE to 10.1? Will the very process of uninstalling lose any of
my data files (I doubt it) or OOo settings (I suspect this could be a problem)?
If so, what do I need to save before I uninstall? Should these files be
restored to their original directories after installing version 2.0.3?

What else am I, as an untrained user, in need of knowing?