Yes, you can password protect OO documents. I read (on this email list) that OO encryption is stronger than MS, but I have no personal experience.

Norm Leaf wrote:
I have previously used Microsoft Office 2000, and with their program I used
password to prevent someone  from opening personal financial document when they
are on my computer. Is it possible to do the same with Open Office 2.0.