Ross Johnson wrote:
Cor Nouws wrote:

Ross Johnson wrote:

CarlP wrote:

Win XPHome, OOo 2.0.2

I am creating a mail merge to address envelopes. I create an envelope document, select a data source, place merge fields on the document, add Hidden Paragraphs as needed, then run the merge. While the starting document and the resulting merged document show one envelope "page" per record, the page number display skips every other page (so when looking at first page, it shows page 1, but when scrolling to the next visible envelope "page" it shows page 3). Neither standard nor page layout views show the blank page. I've checked for non-printing characters but all I see is paragraph markers.

What's going on, I think, is that the field names and Hidden Paragraph functions take up so many lines that they spill onto a second "page" when fields are viewed, even though none of the merged addresses do. So every record (of some 220) takes up 2 "pages" even though the merged data doesn't.

That's definitely not the case.

I have the same problem on Linux with OOo 2.0.3 with a regular default page style mail merge, and I couldn't find the cause anywhere. (I was saving all merged documents as a single document by the way). In the end, I had to get around it by telling the print to ignore automatic blank pages. There's a checkbox in File - Print - Options(button) that needs to be unchecked.

Is this a bug, or is something else amiss? I've checked issue tracker and not found anything like this. Haven't checked archives as I'm on dialup.

It's gotta be a bug, surely.

As far as I understand it, it's by design: each merged document starts on a new page 1. That does make sence for letters, less for envelopes. But as Ross pointed out: there's an option added to suppress printing the blanc pages.

I also get the feeling it's by design, but I think the implementation may have got messed up somewhere. What I see is effectively two page breaks between the individual merged documents. That is, each merged document does start on a new page, but there is the blank page also. The option to skip automatic blank pages when printing isn't the right solution, and I don't believe would be the intended solution because if I format my original document such that it includes automatic blank pages, and I merge it, then those pages will also be removed effectively, even though I want them to be there.

Ross

Right. And I don't think choosing to skip automatic blank pages is very intuitive either. In any case, as I explained, I looked at the non-printing characters and see no page breaks at all, much less two for each record. I don't see anything that would indicate a "next record" character either.