I just installed OOo on an eMac running 10.4.7. When I tried to open it, I got a message about a problem with X11. Do you know if you have X11 installed? It's not part of the basic installation package. If you have it installed, it should be in Applications -> Utilities.

If not, insert your system install disk, scroll down to "optional installs", click to open, click to continue, agree, continue, until you come to a list of things to install. Click on the triangle next to "Applications," check on "X11" and install. Of course make sure not to have any applications running and install from an administrator account.

This solved the problem for me.

Fran