Dan Lewis wrote:
On Sunday 27 August 2006 12:17 pm, RBL wrote:
RBL wrote:
Ever since I installed OOo 2, I have been having odd problems
with spell check.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and
the problem only got worse.

Here are the symptoms:

* Turning off check spelling as you type only lasts for the
session. When I reboot later. the feature is again enabled. (This was the initial problem.)

* The standard dictionary never remembers words I tell it to add.
 I can check a document, add words to the std dict, and recheck
the document -- and the words are flagged again.

* The thesaurus never has a suggested word.  I fixed this by
reinstalling the dictionaries.

Any suggestions?
Is this utter lack of response the great online support that OOo
evangelists so highly tout?

I have been trying to find an answer to this problem for weeks, but
can't find a solution anywhere, including here.

Time to click "uninstall" -- because a word processor that can't do
spell check or thesaurus is brain dead.

Perhaps this is a little late, but why haven't you created your own dictionaries? (user-defined dictionaries) That would solve the spelling problem. You can do this at Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids. Just make sure that any dictionaries you create have a check in front of them in the User-defined dictionaries list. Have you looked in the User's Guides that are available? What about the Writer's Guide created by OOoAuthors. All are available for download at http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/.

Dan

Dan, thanks for the reply.

I +did+ create my own dicts. OOo does not save any of my entries to my personal dict. Doesn't even remember them per-session. That said, it's worth trying to create a new personal dict and seeing if that clears up the app's confusion.