Nicu Buculei wrote:
Terry wrote:
Some innocents, such as myself until recently, are probably unaware of the extent of information about their email arrangements published on the web.

I think it would be a good idea for you to read about how email works and in general how the internet works. Then you will gather information about how little anonymity you have on the internet and about some means to improve it. You can start your reading here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymity#Anonymity_and_the_Internet
Pay attention to the "See also" section.

If you want to find out, the link is http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=users

When you've selected a message to view, you'll probably find yourself on a tab marked "Standard Display" which is mostly occupied by the message itself, although it also contains the sender's email address.

For some strange reason, there is another tab marked "Raw Display". That tab contains only information about the source of the message. It contains details of your email arrangements; details which can be of no interest to persons of good intent.

"Raw Display" will show the email headers, this information is available to all people receiving your mails from the list and there are a lot of legit uses for it (determine if you are subscribed to the list or not, calculate spam score of the message, help blocking you if you are a spammer, help identify which OS a total newbie is using, etc.)

If you do not want to publish those details to the world at large and

A. You need help or information. Consider instead subscribing to the OpenOffice forum: http://www.oooforum.org/

A forum may be not that effective in receiving replies. Another option would be to use another email provider, which will not show your private IP address (if that is the info you are concerned about). Note that using a forum the same level of information about you is known by the forum operators.

B. You want to provide help or information. Consider a direct reply to the person seeking it. Direct reply is a courtesy extended in any case to non-subscribers and is not an uncommon practice of the cannier members of mailing lists.

Direct reply is rude and bad. Even when replying to non-subscribers, a copy should be sent to the list, so other people available to provide help will see the question was answered, may correct the answer in case it contain errors or is incomplete and the knowledge is shared.

I realize that this information is known to all people with an email client anyway, but that is no reason to post it on the web as well. I think that's what the OP was concerned about. I wrote a message to the webmaster to resolve this. The entire path the mail has followed is viewable there. That should not be necessary.

Cheers,

Jo