Adrian Try wrote:
> Change case actually changes the case of the characters.
> Font effects leaves the characters as they are, but formats the
> display of the fonts.

Harold Fuchs wrote:
Sorry but I'm confused.
If I use Format>Character>Font Effects to change a selection from all lower to
upper case, it changes as I'd expect. *But* if I then use Format>Change Case to
change the selection back to lower case *nothing* visible happens.
The only time Format>Change Case has any visible effect is if Format>Character>Font
Effects is set to "None".
What is going here?
I simply don't understand the words "Font effects leaves the characters as they are,
but formats the display of the fonts."

Sorry for my very vague answer. It was getting pretty late when I
typed that! ;-)

I use the case section for  Format/Character/Font Effects when
formatting headings.

Lets say I'm working on a long document, and I've typed all of the
headings in title case, and formatted it with the Heading 1 style.

Later in the day I decide I'd like all of the headings to be in all
caps. I can change the Heading 1 Style to format the headings so they
are displayed in capital letters. This doesn't change the actual text,
just the way they are displayed on screen and paper.

The advantage of this is if I change my mind. The next day I might
decide that all caps looks too much like I'm shouting, and I want to
put my headings back to the way they were before. I just need to
change the format of the Heading 1 style so that the all caps box
isn't ticked. Automatically, all of my headings revert to their
previous look.

I hope this is a bit clearer (I'm at lunch at work at the moment, and
a bit more awake), and I hope my example explains why the feature is
useful.

Adrian