Matthias wrote:

I didn't talk about programs that are *optimized* for a11y. My

I'm not either.

For functional a11y it simply has to be able "play nicely" with existing/future a11y tools, and "describe" what it is doing/did do/can do.

The "describe what it is doing/did do/can do" is where OOo currently fails.

is that most people using a11y support consider MSOfficeto be sufficient for
their needs.

It is "sufficient" for their needs, in the same way that VI (or EMACS) is "sufficient" for the needs of every office. [Both VI and EMACS have can be used for creating or editing: text; graphics; spreadsheets; databases; presentations; music scores; sound; email; web-surfing; etc.]

rewritten from scratch to get a11y support.

Use MSO with some of the a11y tools, to discover just how much functionality is gone. [Your a11y power user for MSO is not able to do as much, functionally, as an intermediate non-a11y user.]

throw out the current OOo GUI but you still can keep most of the code
below it.

There are a number of other reasons why the OOo code needs to be rewritten -- Unicode 4.0 compliance and the removal of the duplicate libraries being one of them. [And yes, I know those are related matters that will be done "real soon now".]

xan

jonathon