On Monday, October 23, 2006 1:50 AM [GMT+1=CET], Chris BONDE <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Greetings,
>>
>> My father recently purchased a new computer.  The only program he
>> ever used on his old computer was MSWord.  With the new purchase he's
>> received Works which, of course, doesn't allow him to access his old
>> documents.  I think he'd be  more comfortable using the OpenOffice
>> Writer program than trying to learn Works.  Is there any way for him
>> to just download OpenOffice's Writer program alone?  He is on a slow
>> dial up connection and can not, and does not require, the entire
>> OpenOffice programs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Constance
>
> Unfortunately you cannot download just certain parts of
> OpenOffice.org.  You have to download the complete suite.  The best
> way on dial=up (as I am on dial-up) is to use a download manager.  I
> have been using LeechGet as was suggested on the download site.  I
> have since 'plugged it' into  FireFox and it seems to work very well.
>
> However, if he is just interested in a word processor he might look
> into some of the other OpenSouce word processors.  For the moment,
> being a Sr, I forget the names of the others.  However, I think that
> Open Office.org will allow he and you to grow into a great
> environment.
He could also order a CD. This would not necessarily be entirely free but the
price would be minimal - typically only covering the cost of the CD itself and
the postage. You can order a CD on the same page as you would otherwise have
started the download procedure.

Harold Fuchs
London, England