Piers:

I am a regular OpenOffice.org Mac OS X version user and the lead of the
Mac OS X test team.  You did not state how much memory you have
installed on your G4 system, but more is definitely better.  I recommend
a minimum of 256 MB and 512 MB if you are working with lengthy or large
document files.  I am glad that you overcame the X11 problem you
experienced. I can also state that the team reponsible for porting
OpenOffice.org 2.0 to the Mac OS X system is working very hard to create
a Mac OS X native program.

James McKenzie