Suggested workaround:
 Open the terminal application and type:

 sudo mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF.bad
 return
 enter your password
 return
 sudo mv /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/Vera*.ttf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
 fonts/TTF.bad
 return

 the code will create a new folder "TTF.bad" and will copy all "Vera"
 fonts to this folder. This must be done with administrator "root"
 rights  (sudo)

 Hope this helps.
 thanks to Pavel and Patrick

carl