I'm using the Dutch version, so the menu-options on your version may be called
different.

First open a blank document and change the font.
Goto File/Templates/Save and save the document.
Goto File/Templates/Manage. (first option on the menu) Find the document you
just saved and select it by clicking on it.
Click on Commands (the button with the arrow on it) and select Set as default
template (last option).
Close OpenOffice (not sure if you must close the quickstarter also) and start a
new document.

The default font should now be the one you set.

Arnold Huzen