On Monday 06 November 2006 08:28 pm, Glen wrote:
> I pulled up a document done in MSOffice which had numbered
> paragraphs. When I attempted to insert additional text the
> numbering got out-of-whack.  I see when I start a new OOo document
> up with numbering it goes much smoother.  So, it seems the
> translation from an original MS doc to OOo Writer isn't totally
> clean.  This is probably back-burner stuff for the developers, but
> with more people learning about OOo, they'll need to bring their
> old MS files with them and go back and forth, perhaps more so going
> forward.

     Since MS Office file formats are proprietary, it is impossible
for OpenOffice.org (OOo) to read or save files with this format. So,
going back and forth as you put it is not going to be perfect
(totally clean). Without MS being willing to publicly state what
their format is, it never will be. Even the XML formats, which the
next MS Office is going to be using, have many XML tags with meanings
that only MS knows.
     OOo would happily work to make the translation perfect if MS
would describe their file formats so that would be possible. OOo
formats are publicly known. In fact, OOo Writer's format is not the
OSI open document standard for text editors. MS Word has no excuse
for not being able to cleanly read the OOo Writer format.
     Here is a question for you. If a person upgrades from one version
of MS Office to another is the translation always clean? What about
when the upgrade involves jumping a couple of versions? I do not know
the answer to these questions, but perhaps you do.

Dan