On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 02:38:37 +1100
Ross Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:

> >I have Ghostscript installed on my Linux computer. I don't have
> >spadmin, and can't find it to install it.
> >
> spadmin is part of the Linux OOo package and the standard OOo rpms put
> it in /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/spadmin.
>
> If you can't find it, try running:
>
> locate spadmin

Well, that didn't work. I did "locate spadmin" and it found it:

/home/jjj/.openoffice/1.1.3/spadmin
/home/jjj/.foxrc/.openoffice/1.1.3/spadmin
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/spadmin
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/spadmin.bin

So I navigated to /usr/lib/openoffice/program and the ls command says
it is there. So is spadmin.bin. But here's what happened:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/lib/openoffice/program$ spadmin
bash: spadmin: command not found
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/lib/openoffice/program$ spadmin.bin
bash: spadmin.bin: command not found

Dunno what's wrong. :(

> > But I printed the form from
> >Writer to test_form.ps (using a PostScript Level 2 printer that I own
> >and have installed). Then I edited the above line to:
> >
> >/usr/bin/gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
> >-sInputFile="/home/jjj/Phonetics/test_form.ps"
> >-sOutputFile="/home/jjj/Phonetics/test_form3.pdf"
> >
> >And tried it. It created test_form3.pdf in the Phonetics folder all
> >right, but it was a zero-byte file. Not sure where to go from here.

> In this case, could you try:
>
> /usr/bin/gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
> -sOutputFile="/home/jjj/Phonetics/test_form3.pdf" \
> /home/jjj/Phonetics/test_form.ps quit.ps
>
> I.e. put the list of input files at the end (quit.ps is a file that gs
> knows where to find and just provides the "quit" command to tell gs to
> exit - otherwise gs will stay in interactive mode).

OK, that created an output file. But when I opened it in Adobe Reader
7.0 none of the controls were there. Yet when I print the file to the
same laser printer (for print output, not to file) the print output
shows the controls. Therefore, the .ps file must contain the controls.
So Ghostview is not only not creating an editable PDF file, it isn't even
embedding the controls contained in the .ps file.

I have created a website with the relevant files in this discussion:

http://web.pdx.edu/~johj

I would appreciate it (and so would the bug-fixers and developers) if
you and anyone else who is interested in the PDF export problem would
look at those files and at least verify that the problem is not that I
am just doing something dumb.

Also, I can't upgrade my 2.03 to 2.04 because 2.04 is not yet in the
repositories. Meantime, it would be useful to find out if perhaps this
problem has been resolved in 2.04. If someone with 2.04 would download
the files and verify that it does or does not work, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.