Rex Bertram wrote:
Hi all.  I am brand new to Open Office, and to the list.  I'm sure I'll have
many questions as I learn the programs. But, I have one for starters. I have a couple of Microsoft Works files. These have a "wdb" file
extension.  Can these be opened with Oppen Office?  If so, how?
Thanks. I look forward to learning the software, and its abilities.
There have been a number of messages about this topic just recently, so more information is available in the list archives, one of the last messages there is this one:

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=133780

(follow the "Previous in thread" links too).

OpenOffice doesn't support Works file formats, so the general wisdom is to export the data to CSV format from within Works, and then import that file into a spreadsheet application (Calc is OOo's spreadsheet application). Anything other than the data will probably need to be redone, i.e. using OOo Base for any relational database queries, forms etc. IIRC, you have the choice of importing the spreadsheet data into Base and using it's database engine, or using the spreadsheet as the datasource.

Ross