Thanks.  I appreciate the info.  Actually, I wasn't even able to open my
works files in works, but have now fixed that problem.

Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2006 11:21 PM
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [users] New to Open Office

Rex Bertram wrote:
> Hi all.  I am brand new to Open Office, and to the list.  I'm sure
> I'll have many questions as I learn the programs.  But, I have one for
starters.

> I have a couple of Microsoft Works files.  These have a "wdb" file
> extension.  Can these be opened with Oppen Office?  If so, how?
>
> Thanks.  I look forward to learning the software, and its abilities.

There have been a number of messages about this topic just recently, so more
information is available in the list archives, one of the last messages
there is this one:

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=133780

(follow the "Previous in thread" links too).

OpenOffice doesn't support Works file formats, so the general wisdom is to
export the data to CSV format from within Works, and then import that file
into a spreadsheet application (Calc is OOo's spreadsheet application).
Anything other than the data will probably need to be redone, i.e. using OOo
Base for any relational database queries, forms etc. IIRC, you have the
choice of importing the spreadsheet data into Base and using it's database
engine, or using the spreadsheet as the datasource.

Ross