James:

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 05:04:01PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]
> What I
> > > need to do is print two pages per sheet such that they can be folded and
> > > bound together. This requires pages to be printed in an order like:
> > >
> > > For the first ten sheets
> > > 40, 1, 2, 39, 38, 3, 4, 37, 36, 5, 6, 35, 34, 7, 8, 33, 32, 9, 10, 31,
> > > 30,
> 11,
> > > 12, 29, 28, 13, 14, 27, 26, 15, 16, 25, 24, 17, 18, 23, 22, 19, 20, 21
> > > (ie: Page 40 and Page 1 on one side, and page 2 and page 39 on the other
> > > side. -Duplex printing)
> > >
> > > For the second ten sheets
> > > 80, 41, 42, 79, 78, 43, 44, 77, 76, 45, 46, 75, 74, 47, 48, 73, 72, 49,
> 50,
> > > 71, 70, 51, 52, 69, 68, 53, 54, 67, 66, 55, 56, 65, 64, 57, 58, 63, 62,
> 59,
> > > 60, 61
> > >
> > > ...and so on for the entire book of about 900 pages.
> > > (I have a small app that generates the page sequence for printing.)
> > >
> > > Once printed the groups of ten sheets (signatures)  are, folded and sewn
> > > together. Then the signatures are sewn together. Finally all of this is
> bound
> > > in a hard cover format.
> > >
> > > I can do the binding easily enough, but I am wondering of OO can be setup
> > > print, in this page order, while printing two pages per sheet.
> > >
> > > For reference the following links may be helpful. I found them while
> > > researching this myself:
> > >
> > > Printing via PagePrevew mode.
> > >
> http://www.8daysaweek.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=29&sid=5e495eacd025cf261815998225488a94
> > >
> > > Binding technique:
> > > http://www.diyplanner.com/node/442
> > >
> > > I have used "Perfect" style binding (binding individual sheets with glue)
> for
> > > several smaller book, but would like to avoid that technique for volumes
> of
> > > this size.
> > >
> http://www.persistenceunlimited.com/2006/03/fun-and-easy-how-to-guide-to-binding-your-own-paperback-books-at-homefast/
> > >
> > > I'd genuinely appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
> > >
> > > Thanks much,
> > >
> > > James.
> >
> > You might look at 'psbook' as a program to follow generating
> > Postscript output from OpenOffice.
> >
> > Reagrds,
> >
> > Dean
>
> Thank you very much that is certainly getting me very close. Now I just need
> to get psnup to work and all will be well. The man pages for psnup need a lot
> of work yet, and the program doesn't work as I would expect. It appears to
> insist on scaling the pages no matter what options i throw at it.
>
> If anyone has a real grasp how psnup really functions I would appreciate some
> pointers. I've tried things like:
> psnup -nup 2 -w5.5in -h8.5in -W5.5in -H8.5in -l zzPrintTest.ps zzPrintTest2.ps
> or
> psnup -nup 2 -w5.5in -h8.5in -W11in -H8.5in -f zzPrintTest.ps zzPrintTest2.ps

I'm not sure, but I think you may have the input and output page sizes
reversed.

> My results are always about the same. I cannot get the original pages to
> print
> full size. they are always reduced. I have attempted to guess at how
> the -s -m and -b options might function but nothing appears to work. (At
> least not as I would expect.)
>
> I really want something very simple. To print the 1/2-letter pages side by
> side in landscape orientation on a full letter page without scaling the
> originals at all.

I believe that psnup rescales down to a smaller page size (I played with
it quite a while ago), so you may have to set the initial font size and
line spacing etc. to something larger, so that it ends up at the desired
point size etc when reduced.

> Again I truly appreciate the assistance,
>
> James

Regards,

Dean

--