Barry D. Hassler wrote:
Yea, I got the form part of it ok. But how do I reference those form fields
throughout the rest of the document? I'm specifically creating a
proposal-type document template where I want to reference the company name
(form field) many times throughout the document.

On 12/4/06, John Jason Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 16:42:13 -0500
"Barry D. Hassler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:
> I've been searching (unsuccessfully) for an example of a writer document
> that has a few fill-in form fields, which are then used throughout the
> document. No really a mail-merge, as the form data won't be in a
separate
> file (or could it be, easily?). I'd use this to generate a templated
> document.

Go to View > Toolbars and turn on Form Design and Form Controls
toolbars. Maybe Form Navigation as well, although I've never used that
one.

Writer is very capable in creating form documents. There is just about
nothing you can't do. You can even export the form as a PDF and the
resulting PDF will be editable in Adobe Reader (version 7.0 or later).
You can create a database and tie it to a form control so the user will
have a drop-down box to select the choice from.

What you want to use is Insert | Fields | Other which you can also reach by pressing ctrl+F2. The Help for this function is rather good and should be all you need to get this working. I've used the function since OOo 1.0.x for pretty much the same thing you are describing.

--
DougT