Henri wrote:

I simply modified my keyboard software by choosing the respective language

That is a function of your operating system.  If you want to do things
the hard way, there is/was a virtual keyboard macro for OOo, that can be
adapted for those transliterations.

and then wrote the pinyin transcription for the Chinese graphs I needed
and/or the romaji transcription for Japanese versions and the kana.

Currently, OOo does not convert pinyin or romaji to the appropriate
glyphs.  :(

There are a couple of IMEs that work with OOo.  Somewhere on
OOoAuthors.org is a document ( for OOo 1.1.x) that discusses using OOo
with various writing systems, and languages.

xan

jonathon